In an inspiring effort to provide financial assistance for Thai high schoolers in the greater Los Angeles region, the Angels Wings Foundation is annually awarding scholarships to 24 rising college students of Thai ancestry. The new initiative underscores Angels Wings Founder Porntip Bui Simon’s unwavering belief in the power of education.
The initiative behind the Angels Wings Thai Scholarship, Los Angeles is to recognize and honor Thai-American students who have demonstrated academic excellence, concern for their Thai community, heritage connection and desire to continue their education. The required factors may be demonstrated through participation in community, high school/college and advocacy activities.
Angels Wings Thai Scholarship Strives to:
- Provide educational opportunities by recognizing the contributions of Thai-Americans in local communities, and on regional, national and global levels.
- Create an opportunity for Thai Americans to bring about meaningful changes in both their private and public lives through a higher education.
- Establish ties among Thai Americans and their native country of Thailand.
- Provide positive role models for Thai Americans living in the U.S.
Building a Community of Thai Scholars:
Our overarching vision is to opens doors for Thai students to experience higher education, and to create a nationwide network of Thai youth scholars. We believe our scholars will thrive when given the opportunity to develop relationships with their contemporaries throughout the country. By encouraging a community amongst our scholars, we are also building greater pride, commitment and honoring Thailand and its people.
Applicants for the Angels Wings Thai Scholarship must:
- Be a graduating high school senior
- Be a Los Angeles County Resident
- Be entering an accredited college or university for the 2017-2018 school year
- Have an un-weighted accumulative grade point average (GPA) of 3.0 or better
- Demonstrate their aspiration through a written essay focused on the “Scholarship Purpose”
To be considered for the scholarship, each candidate must submit the following documents:
- Angels Wings Application form.
- 2017 High School Transcript with senior grades, including GPA and Class Ranking.
- One (1) Letter of Recommendation (non-family): Qualified writers may be Teachers, Coaches, Principal, Counselor. Must include their contact information for verification.
- One (1) Personal Reference: Qualified writers are adults known on a personal level, such as from Volunteering, Faith-based Organization, Mentor, Neighbor. Must include their contact information for verification.
- A 500-1000 word Essay: Share what being Thai means to you. How has your Thai ethnicity shaped who you are today? What have your cultural roots taught you? How has your heritage impacted your involvement in the community?
- Proof of College Acceptance for the 2017 fall semester. Submit a copy of the College Acceptance letter.
ALL DOCUMENTS MUST BE SUBMITTED IN ONE COMPLETE PACKET
Gather all 6 Application Requirement documents listed above, and submit by only one of the following methods. Student will receive an acknowledgement email notice. Do Not submit the packet more than once.
Email: Scan all the documents to create one PDF, and attach to email. Email to: Amelia@angelswingsfoundation.org
Mail: Completed packet can be mailed or shipped to:
Royal Thai Consulate
Care of: Angels Wings Thai Scholarship
611 North Larchmont Boulevard
Los Angeles, CA 90004
Delivered: Packet may be dropped in-person or by carrier to:
The Royal Thai Consulate Los Angeles, California
Attention: Angels Wings Thai Scholarship
611 North Larchmont Boulevard, 2nd Floor
Los Angeles, CA 90004
Office Hours: Monday thru Friday Thai– 9:00am to 12:00pm / 1:00pm to 4:00pm
Submission & Notification Time-period:
APPLICATIONS MUST BE POSTMARKED BY JUNE 9th, 2017
Submit application packet to Royal Thai Consulate or email by 5:00pm PST June 9, 2017.
After the AWF Scholarship committee has concluded the application process and selected the scholarship recipients for the upcoming academic year, all applicants will be notified via email of acceptance or non-acceptance by July 3rd, 2017.
The AWF Scholarship Committee is comprised of representatives from the Angels Wings Foundation and the Royal Thai Consulate of Los Angeles. Applicants shall be selected by the committee according to a combination of academic promise as determined by high school transcript/ GPA, written essay and a balance of factors.
The AWF Scholarship Committee will select a total of 24 undergraduate students to receive up to $240,000 in 2017 college scholarships. Awardees will receive $5,000 towards education expenses to attend city/community colleges or trade school or a $10,000 scholarship to students attending a university. Proof of acceptance for the 2017 fall semester must be submitted during the application process. The full amount of the award will be disbursed directly to the college at the beginning of the semester of their first college term.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS:
- Award Amount - $5,000 scholarships towards city/community college or trade school. and $10,000 scholarships towards university education.
- Application Deadline - June 9th, 2017 (5pm PST)
- Submission Postmark - Must be postmarked by June 9th, 2017
- Award Notification Date - July 3, 2017
- Renewability - Not eligible for renewal; award only available to rising college students.
- Required to attend a specific college - No, all are qualified if accredited.
- Proof of College Acceptance - Proof of acceptance for the 2017-2018 Fall semester must be submitted.
- Award Disbursement - Awards will be disbursed directly to college or university financial aid office at the beginning of the first term of the 2017-2018 school year.
- Use of Awards - Awards will be directed by the recipient college or university to cover the student’s tuition, books, supplies, and housing costs. Any remaining unused portion of the award is retained by the college or university.
STILL HAVE QUESTIONS?
If you have further questions regarding the Angels Wings Foundation Thai Scholarship of Los Angeles, please contact Amelia@angelswingsfoundation.org before June 9, 2017.