In an inspiring effort to provide financial assistance for Thai high schoolers in California, the Angels Wings Foundation is proud to announce our second round of scholarships to 24 rising college students of Thai ancestry in California will begin in February of 2018. The new initiative underscores Angels Wings Founder Porntip Bui Simon’s unwavering belief in the
power of education.
The initiative behind the Angels Wings Thai Scholarship, is to recognize and honor Thai-American students who have demonstrated academic excellence, commitment to their Thai community, heritage connection and desire to continue their education.
Angels Wings Thai Scholarship Strives to:
- Provide educational opportunities by recognizing the contributions of Thai-Americans in local communities, and on regional, national and global levels.
- Create an opportunity for Thai Americans to bring about meaningful changes in both their private and public lives through a higher education.
- Establish ties among Thai Americans and their native country of Thailand.
- Provide positive role models for Thai Americans living in the U.S.
- Create thoughtful, future leaders who demonstrate integrity, respect and honor, and are the pride of the Thai community
Building a Community of Thai Scholars:
Our overarching vision is to opens doors for Thai students to experience higher education, and to create a nationwide network of Thai youth scholars. We believe our scholars will thrive when given the opportunity to develop relationships with their contemporaries throughout the country. By encouraging a community amongst our scholars, we are also building greater pride, commitment and honoring Thailand and its people.
Applicants for the Angels Wings Thai Scholarship must:
- Be a graduating high school senior
- Be a California Resident
- Be entering an accredited college or university for the 2018-2019 school year
- Have an un-weighted accumulative grade point average (GPA) of 3.0 or better
- Demonstrate their aspiration through a written essay focused on the “Scholarship Purpose”
To be considered for the scholarship, each candidate must submit the following documents:
- Angels Wings Application form.
- 2017 High School Transcript with senior grades, including GPA and Class Ranking.
- One (1) Letter of Recommendation (non-family): Qualified writers may be Teachers, Coaches, Principal, Counselor. Must include their contact information for verification.
- One (1) Personal Reference: Qualified writers are adults known on a personal level, such as from Volunteering, Faith-based Organization, Mentor, Neighbor. Must include their contact information for verification.
- A 500-1000 word Essay: Share what being Thai means to you. How has your Thai ethnicity shaped who you are today? What have your cultural roots taught you? How has your heritage impacted your involvement in the community?
- Proof of College Acceptance for the 2017 fall semester. Submit a copy of the College Acceptance letter.
ALL DOCUMENTS MUST BE SUBMITTED IN ONE COMPLETE PACKET
Gather all 6 Application Requirement documents listed above, and submit via email or apply online. Student will receive an acknowledgement email notice. Do Not submit the packet more than once.
Email: Scan all the documents to create one PDF, and attach to email. Email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Online Application: Fill out application online.
Submission & Notification Time-period:
APPLICATIONS MUST BE SUBMITTED BY MAY 1st, 2018
Submit application packet via email or online application by 5:00pm PST May 1, 2018.
After the AWF Scholarship committee has concluded the application process and selected the scholarship recipients for the upcoming academic year, all applicants will be notified via email of acceptance or non-acceptance by June 2nd, 2018.
The AWF Scholarship Committee is comprised of representatives from the Angels Wings Foundation. Applicants shall be selected by the committee according to a combination of financial need, merit, written essay and academic promise as determined by high school transcript/ GPA.
The AWF Scholarship Committee will select a total of 24 undergraduate students to receive 2018 college scholarships. Awardees will receive $5,000 towards education expenses to attend city/community colleges or trade school or a $10,000 scholarship to students attending a university. Proof of acceptance for the 2018 fall semester must be submitted during the application process. The full amount of the award will be disbursed directly to the college at the beginning of the semester of their first college term.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS:
- Award Amount - $5,000 scholarships towards city/community college or trade school. and $10,000 scholarships towards university education.
- Application Deadline - May 1st, 2018 (5pm PST)
- Submission Postmark - Must be postmarked by May 1st, 2018
- Award Notification Date - June 2, 2018
- Renewability - Not eligible for renewal; award only available to rising college students.
- Required to attend a specific college - No, all are qualified if accredited.
- Proof of College Acceptance - Proof of acceptance for the 2018-2019 Fall semester must be submitted.
- Award Disbursement - Awards will be disbursed directly to college or university financial aid office at the beginning of the first term of the 2018-2019 school year.
- Use of Awards - Awards will be directed by the recipient college or university to cover the student’s tuition, books, supplies, and housing costs. Any remaining unused portion of the award is retained by the college or university.
STILL HAVE QUESTIONS?
If you have further questions regarding the Angels Wings Foundation Thai Scholarship, please contact email@example.com.